CIS PTO MEETING MINUTES

September 1, 2015

9:00AM – CIS CAFETERIA

 

In attendance:

Jen Rottkamp                                                Christen Cuniowski                        Sue Knaub

Jenn Almeida                                                Carolyn Raymond                        Kimberly Marze

Cindy Moeller                                                Anne Marie Pelletier

Tamara Anderson                                    Nicole Evans

Julie Watson                                                MJ Holowesko

Maria Bradley                                                Barbara DeLoureiro

Kevin Hanlon                                                Julia Derkoutz

                       

 

The meeting was called to order at 9:02am in the CIS Cafeteria by PTO President, Jen Rottkamp.

 

Teacher’s report – 6th grader report. Students transitioning smoothly. Started with smaller groups to orient kids to how CIS works. Smaller groups is a better more personal format – easier to connect with kids.

6th graders take on the role of ‘Leader” they are impressed upon to step up to be role models. They students had the opportunity to meet and discuss what it means to be a leader. This is an ongoing theme for the school year. 6th graders are also working on team building (yellow/blue team rotations)

We set up leadership team building stations and had students rotate through.

Open house (Sept 17th) ideas – what do parents want from Open House (curriculum night) schedule is changed for this year - separated by grade level in order for parents to be able to rotate through child’s whole schedule.

Parents would like to know more about “specials”

What would you like to see in the classroom? Response: curriculum and major projects with deadlines. Mr. Allen: it could be put on website.

Parents would like to know about Homework expectations. Notebook vs. Google docs/chrome books?

Parents want to know what projects are done alone or in groups (esp. for 6th graders)

Mr. Allen suggests that teachers spend time showing parents how to use online resources to help their child be successful with school work.

Schoology and Naviance – passwords are NOT uniform. Students will get password resets at the beginning of each year. The use of technology in the classroom is an ongoing process. Not all teachers will use the same technology, but Prin. Hanlon says that CIS fully supports tech training for teachers.

 

Principal’s update

Overall smooth start to the school year – good tone in building

Feedback from parents re: financial dollars to support playground renovation. It has been 10 years since last review of playground renovations. Meeting with BOE to begin putting together beginnings of

Fields will NOT be addressed under the playground renovations. TOWN MAINTAINS THE FILED. The town of Canton needs to look at fields in terms of grass, drainage, and landscaping. In the next couple of years that

$10,000 allocation for field improvements (coming from BOE from a myriad of grants)

See Playground survey provided by Prin. Hanlon

Winter recess – snow prohibits opportunity for students to play on field or playground. Is there any way to improve this? Perhaps adding some blacktop so that students are not limited to space between school building and bus lanes.

Engineering help could help with not only adding blacktop space, but also improving existing space. (drainage, freezing water/ice, etc.)

Also considering shaded areas and benches as part of playground/playscape improvements.

Sec. – approval of last meeting minutes

Treasure’s report

Last year’s focus was the Chrome book fundraiser resulted in 3 sets of Chromebooks!

This year, we are more focused on building a sense of community by having more Conservative fundraising this year as illustrated by the following:

No Yankee Candle

Boo Bash – considering lowering cost of entry fee (wristband), “beef up” décor

GAME ON Basketball – offering food for sale, and make this a “free” event and have students bring a canned food item to donate in an effort to community build

Meet the Author

Tamara – why did hospitality budget go up by$1,000? Response: in an effort to take the burden off of parent volunteers, we are budgeting for having lunches catered for some events.

Individual Chairs will have to decide how much they want to depend on the $$$ from the hospitality budget.

Budgeting will flex based on the needs of the school.

Motion to accept the budget – approved!

PTO memberships reviewed – free printed directory with a membership! 123 families are registered!

What is the deadline to register for directory? September 21st!

We will set up laptops to help parents to register for PTO online. CAN WE ADD AN “OPT OUT” FOR PRINTED DIRECTORY IF SOME PARENTS WANT ONLY ONLINE DIRECTORY? DON’T WASTE THE TREES!

Any feedback re: Back-to-school BBQ

VP report

Room parents – Still a need for room parents volunteers. Should we divide blue team and yellow team room parents?

Committee reports (chairs Michelle Winkler and Kimberly Marze

Book fair – Dates and times provided. Cindy needs to set up sign up on the PTO website.

Barnes and Noble Date is locked in! Tuesday, December 1st

Box top updates – three contests per year – the class that collects the most gets something.

A great and easy way to make money - Each box top is worth 10 cents

ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET MORE PARTICIPATION? THERE IS A COLLECTION BOX OUTSIDE THE OFFICE. BOX TOPS CAN BE SENT IN ANY TIME, BUT IF YOU WANT KID/CLASS TO GET CREDIT, BE SURE TO LABEL BAGGIE.

 

 

Upcoming Events

 

Raise Craze:

Set Up Users-October 11,12,13

Fundraiser-October 16-20